What Is a Slab Leak?
To put it simply, when the pipes inside or below the home’s foundation begin to leak, it is called a slab leak. These small leaks may seem like a minor problem at first, but if they are neglected, they can lead to significant structural damage within your home. You might want to check the VBA website for regulations around this.
Causes of a Slab Leak
Slab leaks are mainly a result of improper plumbing during the construction of the house. It is not odd for some objects to get damaged when building a home. However, if the water pipes get damaged in some way, it could cause problems for the homeowner.
Pipes contract and expand when water runs through them, so if they are situated in a place where there is concrete, gravel or other pipes, they may not have enough room for expansion. This will eventually wear them down, resulting in weeping spots in your home.
Recognizing the Slab Leak
- You hear the sound of water running even if all your faucets and other outlets are turned off
- Your carpets feel wet
- There is an unpleasant smell
- Your water bill has increased unexpectedly, even though your water consumption has remained the same
Repair a Slab Leak
Ultimately, a homeowner is going to have to explore options to resolve the plumbing issues. The repair process does not have to be dramatic. Wanting to repair slab leaks does not necessarily mean you will have to bulldoze your entire house to fix the pipes. There are a few cost-effective strategies that can be used:
- Re-piping: This method is invasive, but it will get the job done. Your plumber will have to cut into floors and concrete slab to get to the damaged pipes and replace them with new ones.
- Pipe re–routing: This option works for pipes that are not very long; otherwise, concrete slab repairs are nearly impossible to achieve. A PEX is used to reroute the pipe outside the house or inside walls or ceilings.
- Pipe-Relining: This is a ditchless repair solution requiring entry holes on either side of the pipe. It is considered a much better option than digging a ditch and exposing the pipe. A new liner can be used to seal any cracks or breaks.
If you need trained professionals of plumbers in Melbourne with expertise on slab leak detection and repair, give us a call. Offering same-day service, we give our clients a complete solution to all their plumbing problems no matter what area of the south eastern suburbs you are located.